Wednesday, February 12, 2014

What I Really Think: Pinocchio



Pinocchio is one of the first movies I remember watching, so I have a bit of nostalgia wrapped up in it.  Today I still enjoy it overall, and I think it ranks fairly highly on my list of favorite Disney movies.  But it doesn’t hold my attention as well as it did when I was younger.  I feel like the lack of a strong central narrative makes it feel a lot slower.  The good stuff is very good, but there are bits that drag on for me.  In particular the beginning feels a bit slow and depends a lot on gags.  The big with Stromboli isn’t bad, but never really stood out either.  But I feel like the Pleasure Island and Monstro parts are pretty good and keep up a brisk pace, though with a bit of a lull before the main action of escaping Monstro, but feel like that needs to be there to give the audience a break before the main action.  Today, I would probably rank Pinocchio more as something I would watch on the side, rather than something I would devote my full attention to watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment