Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What I Really Think: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs



For me, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs always ranked low among Disney movies.  I remember finding it somewhat dull when I was younger and later I found the characters simplistic and unappealing.  

It’s been many years since I last watched this film, and watching it now I find myself much more charitable toward it.  Part of the change is that I’ve learned how much work went into production, and what a big deal it was for this to be the first full length animated motion picture.  Understanding the challenges Disney faced makes the final product more impressive.  

I think the animation rivals modern work.  In particular I’m impressed how much they paid attention to lighting.  Seeing the shadows shake from the candle Dopey holds, shaking in fear is impressive.  

My opinion of Snow White has improved as well.  Where I once saw weakness in her character I now see resilience.  Her innocence and purity come across as strengths more than weaknesses.  I think there’s more to her than she’s given credit for, at least more than I ever gave her credit for.  

Overall, I have to say I like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs now.  It has gone from a movie I didn’t much care for, to one I would like to own a copy of, and that’s a big step for me.  If you haven’t seen it in a while, give it another shot.  You might be surprised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment