Tuesday, May 20, 2014

What I Really Think: Godzilla (2014)



I’ve come to the conclusion I’m just not a fan of big monster movies.  I never really watched them growing up, I was pretty meh about Pacific Rim, and ultimately I felt pretty meh about this latest Godzilla reboot.  


That’s not to say Godzilla is bad.  It’s just not for me.  I got the feeling it was a pretty good rendition of a classic Godzilla movie.  It’s better than the previous remake at least.  Much more tied to its roots.  At least I think so.  Like I said I never really watched the old movies. 


For me the movie felt very slow.  And there were some lacks of logic near the end.  They really didn’t sell me on the fact that he couldn’t get the bomb casing open.  He had a harpoon and he didn’t even try to use it level it open, or smash the glass in front of it.  Plus, an absurd amount of stuff happens in the time from when the countdown on the bomb is started and they find the bomb.  There was some severe time dilation I had a hard time swallowing.   But you can poke holes in any movie.  So I’m not going to sit here and do that.  I’ll just have to say.  If you liked the classic Godzilla movies, you’ll probably like this.  If you didn’t, this one probably won’t change your mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment